About: The Summer Outreach Internship
Applications for the 2022 internship are closed
The Rocky Mountain Raptor Program (RMRP) works to inspire the protection and appreciation of raptors, and the spaces where they live, through excellence in rehabilitation, education, and research. We have been providing community and public education across northern Colorado surrounding raptors for more than 30 years. The Summer Outreach Intern position offers opportunities to develop event coordination and leadership skills, learn about local raptor species and habitats, learn to safely work around the non-releasable ambassador raptors, and engage the public about the RMRP’s mission.
The department houses 20+ permanently disabled raptors, who work as ambassadors to the public for conservation education. We offer 250+ days of community outreach and education annually, including at K-12 schools, universities, community organizations, public events, public and private gatherings, and through social media.
Internships can be used for academic or vocational purposes but interns are responsible for making the arrangements necessary to receive relevant credit as a result of completing the internship. Please notify the RMRP if the internship will be used for this purpose.
General Job Description:
The Outreach intern will co-lead public events to oversee sales of merchandise, fundraising, and help provide conservation education. They will learn what is involved in making public events happen from start to finish in a non-profit. Talking with the public about the organization is a large part of the work, so interactive listening and speaking skills are desirable.
We look for people that are dedicated, self-starting, willing to work hard, detail-oriented and enthusiastic. The intern that demonstrates reliability, attention to detail, quality communication skills, creative thinking, and dedicated to learning will be most successful.
Position is unpaid. Hours worked can be exchanged for merchandise in the gift shop. Housing is not provided. Intern is expected to have their own transportation to and from the RMRP facility. The position has minimal supervisory duties. An RMRP shirt will be provided for working at public events.
Time Requirements and Length of Internship:
Hours per week: 10+
- Must be available on weekends
Time frame: May through August, with option to stay longer
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Have a valid driver’s license.
- A criminal and motor vehicle background check will be performed.
- Working around the ambassadors is a privilege, as they are wild animals despite living in human care. Respectful treatment of the ambassadors and their autonomy is expected.
- Agree to follow all safety protocols as instructed by staff and accept the inherent risk in working with potentially dangerous wildlife.
- Have a current tetanus vaccination.
- Have a current Covid-19 vaccination.
- Understand that you will be working with/or exposed to cleaning chemicals (safety equipment is provided), feces, urine, blood, raptor bodily fluids, and raw meat/organs (prey items).
- Be able to meet the physical requirements of the position: walking/standing on concrete, uneven surfaces, in gravel, mud, dirt, snow, standing water, and ice. Physically active with the ability to kneel, bend, stretch, reach, and full body maneuverability. Hand strength and grip ability with occasional fine finger dexterity.
- Ability to work indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions and temperatures.
- Ability to communicate well in written and oral forms including hearing and talking with members of the public.
Duties and Expectations:
- Be willing/able to drive (or learn) 12/15 passenger van.
- Co-lead community outreach events with raptor care leader.
- Set up and take down 10’x10’ pop-up tents/walls, tables, merchandise, educational displays.
- Set up, stock, and sell merchandise using iPad, and cash transactions.
- Provide general information to the public about the RMRP mission and work.
- Solicit donations.
- Income transaction management.
- Load, unload, and carry materials and equipment up to 30 pounds.
- Clean, organize and restock merchandise and materials weekly.
- Drive a 12 or 15 passenger van to and from events across northern Colorado and southern Wyoming.
- May sit with ambassador on display.
- Develop a basic knowledge of Colorado raptors, habits, habitats, and behavior.
- Develop a basic understanding of the rehabilitation practices of the RMRP.
- Opportunities to attend rescues, releases, necropsies, and observe other rehab activities and care of patients may be available depending on schedules.
Learning to work directly with the ambassadors to provide husbandry may be considered based on applicant’s background and availability. If so, all animal care training is provided to meet requirements outlined by the Colorado Parks and Wildlife, Chapter 9.
Positions Available - How to Apply:
Applications for the 2022 internship will be open from January 1, 2022 - April 20, 2022
To apply for any of the Seasonal Outreach Internship please submit your resume and letter of interest to Lisa@rmrp.org. At that time a link to our google application will be sent to you.